Zero Waste in Longmont
Curbside recycling in Longmont is provided by the city to all customers that subscribe to the city's trash collection service. Longmont residents are automatically on the recycling schedule. Simply call the city at 303-651-8416 to get your cart delivered and to determine your pickup schedule. Then just follow the guidelines and set out your cart.
Recycling collection is every other week on alternate weeks, same day as trash. Call 303-651-8416 for schedule information or visit this page to see when recycling collection is scheduled for your home.
Tips for curbside recycling:
1. Be sure to put your materials out on the right day and time, before 7 a.m. of your collection day.
2. Please prepare materials correctly and only include items accepted through your program. Including additional materials jeopardizes recycling markets and makes processing more costly.
3. All of these items are accepted at the Longmont Waste Diversion Center located at 140 Martin St. Please see below for the guidelines and sorting requirements for the drop-off center, or call the City of Longmont at 303-651-8416 or Eco-Cycle at 303-772-7300.
4. Please rinse containers. Do not crush or flatten containers.
5. Please avoid breaking glass. Glass shards are difficult to sort by color, and even more difficult to market.
6.NO PLASTICS OTHER THAN THOSE LISTED. Learn more about recycling plastics.
Location: 140 Martin St. View a Map.
Contact: City of Longmont: 303-651-8416; Eco-Cycle: 303-772-7300
En Español: Preguntas? Llame a 303-243-5820
Single-Stream Recycling is accepted at the Longmont Waste Diversion Center 24 Hours a Day:
Please rinse containers but do not flatten or crush.
- Glass bottles and jars of any color (please avoid breaking glass)
- Aluminum cans (Do not crush or flatten cans.)
- Aluminum pie pans and aluminum foil (Ball all aluminum foil together into one large ball 2" or larger. No small, balled-up foil please.)
- Steel (tin) cans
- Metal jar lids
- Metal bottle caps
- Empty aerosol cans (no caps)
- Paper milk cartons/drink boxes/juice cartons
- Plastic bottles and jugs with a #1 - #7 on the bottom (OK to replace caps on EMPTY plastic bottles)
- Plastic screw-top jars with a #1 - #7 on the bottom (OK to replace caps on EMPTY plastic jars)
- Plastic tubs & cups with a #1 - #7 on the bottom. (No lids.)
- NO foam containers; no PLA compostable plastics; no plastic bags.
Office Paper/Opened Mail
- Blueprints, brochures, computer printouts, file folders, fax paper, greeting cards, letterhead, pamphlets, pastel colored legal pad paper, slick/glossy ads & brochures, stationery letters, white ream wrappers, white & pastel-colored paper, white & pastel-colored envelopes (windows envelopes OK)
Newspapers & Newspaper Inserts
Paperboard Boxes and Low-Grade Paper Products
- Single-layer boxes, such as cereal boxes (throw away inside bag), gift/shirt boxes, shoe boxes, 6-pack & 12-pack cartons/boxes.
- Low-grade paper items such as cracker boxes (throw away inside bag), hanging file folders, paper egg cartons, soap boxes and facial tissue boxes, paper shopping bags (brown bags go with corrugated cardboard), paper tubes (e.g., paper towel tubes, toilet paper tubes, etc.)
NO shredded paper (accepted in the Paperboard bin)
NO bags or string
NO Kraft (orange/brownish) envelopes; Neon, fluorescent or dark-colored paper; Paper towels; Paper cups, photographs; Frozen food, ice cream & frozen juice containers; Photographs; Pet food bags.
Corrugated Cardboard and Brown Paper Bags
Boxes must be flattened to fit in the compactor. If you have a truckload full of boxes, please see the window attendant during regular business hours.
No plastic bags.
April 14th 2014 - October 18th 2014 - Monday to Saturday from 8:30 am - 5:45 pm
(October 20th 2014 - April 18th 2015 - Monday to Saturday from 7:30 am - 4:45 pm)
Closed on Sundays
The center is closed on New Year's Day, MLK Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
These services are available for Longmont residents only. Please bring your utility bill indicating you are a city trash subscription customer.
All batteries with the exception of regular alkaline batteries are accepted.
Only clean and dry #2 and #4 plastic bags accepted. No black trash bags.
Oil and Antifreeze
Cooking oil, motor oil and antifreeze must be in clear plastic containers with a secure, screw-top cap.
Please do not place the following items in the scrap metal bins:
NO refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners or any other appliances containing freon are accepted.
NO pressurized containers such as propane or helium canisters
NO computers, TVs, or other electronic equipment. Click here for electronics recycling.
For information on recycling freon-containing appliances, see the A to Z Recycling Guide.
The Longmont Drop-off Center now accepts kitchen scraps for composting. Please check in at the window and bring a current utility bill indicating the Waste Management fee. Download a list of the materials accepted.
Location: 140 Martin St. View a Map
By composting, we can help enrich poor Colorado soils. And, when biodegradable materials like food and yard waste go to the landfill, they create methane, a greenhouse gas 84 times more potent than CO2 in the short term. If we compost, we can prevent those emissions, and their effect on the climate.
It’s easy – You put your kitchen food waste (including meat, bone and dairy), soiled paper (napkins, plates, facial tissues) and yard waste (yard clippings, weeds, etc.), in a bin provided to you and put it out on the curb for pick-up, just like when you recycle. With one small step, you can make a BIG difference.
Join our campaign and ask the City of Longmont to add curbside composting service! Simply fill out the form below.
Location: 140 Martin St. View a Map
- Monday – Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Closed on Sundays
- The center is closed on New Year's Day, MLK Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Tree limbs, shrubs, bushes, and leaves are accepted. No plastic bags. No sod, dirt, rock, wood or split rail fence material will be accepted. Limbs are ground into mulch at the center, available to residents who subscribe to the city trash collection services.
There is no charge for residents who present a driver's license and a recent utility bill that indicates you are a city trash subscription customer. Non-residents and contractors will be charged a fee to use the facility.
For more information, call the City of Longmont at 303-651-8416.
Eco-Cycle and the city of Longmont are pleased to offer two annual collection events at the Longmont Drop-off Center for hard-to-recycle materials that are normally accepted only in Boulder.
Collections are held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Our 2014 collection dates are:
- March 29, 2014
- June 21, 2014
- September 13, 2014
We will accept most of the items typically accepted at the CHaRM facility in Boulder. This includes electronics such as computers, TVs, and stereo equipment. There is a fee for electronic items, fire extinguishers, bike tires and tubes, and porcelain fixtures such as toilets and urinals. Find a full list of materials accepted>>
Items collected at no charge include #6 white block foam, cell phones, printer and inkjet cartridges, single or paired athletic shoes, computer keyboards, mice, cables, books and manuals, plastic bags, textiles and big durable #2 plastics. We will not accept cooking oil or items with Freon at this event.
Call 303-772-7300 for more information.
The city of Longmont offers free monthly document shredding for city of Longmont residents only. To participate, simply bring your recent City of Longmont utility bill, indicating you are a city trash subscription customer, to the events.
Already shredded paper is not accepted in curbside recycling but can be placed in the Shredded Paper bin at the Longmont Waste Diversion Center.
Shredding events are held one day a month from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Longmont Waste Diversion Center at 140 Martin St. The dates for 2014 are:
|Jan 18th||July 12th|
|Feb 8th||Aug 16th|
|March 7th||Sep 12th|
|April 12th||Oct 11th|
|May 17th||Nov 1st|
|June 14th||Dec 13th|
For more information, call 303.651.8416 or visit Longmont Public Works.