Meet our Green Star Business Team
Elizabeth Plumb excels at bringing about sustainable behavior change in people from all walks of life. She is the dedicated concierge for the Green Star Business Program and has been with Eco-Cycle since 2014. Prior to that, she worked in Yellowstone National Park as Sustainability Specialist for Xanterra Parks and Resorts. Elizabeth is proud of her role as sustainability coordinator and educate for several large events including Boulder International Film Festival, Telluride Bluegrass Festival, and Arise Music Festival. She has advised Colorado homeowners and Costa Rican business owners on lifestyle, land use, and household initiatives to reduce environmental impact. Elizabeth’s marketing and communications skills were cultivated during her time with Ecosyste.ms and GoLite, both Boulder-based businesses. Her undergraduate degree is in environmental and marine biology from the University of Kwa-Zulu Natal, based in South Africa. She is also certified in the Global Reporting Initiative.
Dale is the Business Recycling Manager for Eco-Cycle and has been in the recycling industry since 1989. Before joining Eco-Cycle in 2003, he started a recycling company in Beatrice, Nebraska; established the recycling program for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and helped start the INFORM group that became Wastecap. Dale has consulted for numerous businesses, governmental entities and schools across the United States. His passion for the environment and desire to make the world a better place for his seven children and twelve grandchildren serves him well in his position with Eco-Cycle.
Native to Denver, K.J. is a leading local sustainability consultant. She specializes in sustainability planning, assessments and employee training. She is a contributing author to multiple books including “Simple Path to Sustainability” and “Green Business Strategies for Small and Medium Sized Businesses.” K.J. is an instructor for the national online University of Colorado Sustainability Practices certificate program. K.J.’s leadership positions in sustainability organizations include President of CORE Colorado (Connected Organizations for a Responsible Economy), Director of Businesses for Social Responsibility, President and founding member of Boulder-based P3: People, Planet Profit. She has been a Director of International Society of Sustainability Professionals for the past six years, serving as the Chair on the certification and conference committees. She also serves on the University of Colorado Denver Managing for Sustainability Advisory Council, LEEDS School of Business Sustainability Council, and nLab Mentoring program. K.J. is an MBA graduate of the University of Denver and also a LEAD Sustainability Fellow. She has certifications in LEED, GHG Accounting, and the Global Reporting Initiatives.
Marti has worked with Eco-Cycle since 1991. She is the Communications Director and Eco-Cycle International Media Director. Marti is considered an international expert in creating words, images, and communication tools to change a community's environmental behavior and to increase recycling and waste reduction participation. She has created much of the communications material that is used nationally and internationally to frame the Zero Waste movement, including videos, national reports, website design and content, social media campaigns, newsletters and more. Locally, she oversees the creation of all of Eco-Cycle’s educational communication tools, which include the company’s website, www.ecocycle.org, the Eco-Cycle Times newsletter, brochures, press, videos, and print advertisements, etc. She is often quoted in local and national publications on Zero Waste issues. For four years she wrote a biweekly newspaper column called “Ask Eco-Cycle,” published in the Daily Camera in Boulder County. She currently writes a weekly environmental column in the Daily Times-Call in Longmont and is a frequent contributor to the Boulder Weekly. She is a writer, director and on-air talent for advocacy film and video productions she produces through a video company she co-owns.
To learn more, contact our Green Star Business Specialist.
Elizabeth Plumb: or (303) 444-6634 x141
Green Star Business Benefits
Consulting and Concierge Support
- In-depth sustainability assessment on all aspects of your organization and facility.
- Customized recommendations and goals report developed from assessment findings.
- Quarterly one-hour follow-up meetings on sustainability plan and resource conservation initiatives to assist with accountability and support.
- Dedicated Eco-Cycle staff member to answer questions and provide support.
- Access to expert consultants on an as-needed basis.
Promotion of Your Business
- Green Star Business members are featured on Eco-Cycle’s frequently visited website.
- Regular social media posts made to highlight individual Green Star Business members.
- Green Star Business logo provided to members for use in marketing materials or website.
- Recognition provided, including a window decal and Green Star Business certificate.
- Network members receive Eco-Cycle’s monthly newsletter (9,000 reach).
Sustainability Training and Education for your Staff
- Customized sustainability trainings provided to your staff on topics such as: zero waste management, energy and water conservation, reducing and disposing of hazardous waste, green purchasing, and sustainable lifestyles.
- Monthly sustainability tips created to share with your staff.
- Customized guidelines on waste reduction and energy and water conservation for distribution to staff.
Peer-to-Peer Network Engagement
- Quarterly Lunch-and-Learns hosted by Eco-Cycle offering facilitated discussion and trainings on current sustainability topics.
- Connect with other members to exchange ideas on our Facebook discussion forum.
- Annual Awards Event to honor and acknowledge Green Star Businesses in the community.
- Coordination Meeting: We sit down with you to discuss the trajectory for your membership in our program: what’s included, what’s expected, and perks.
- Initial Assessment: Our team tours your office and conducts a comprehensive questionnaire to better understand your business, culture, and established sustainability practices.
- Recommendation Report: Our experts provide you with a customized set of recommendations ranging from how to reduce waste, water and energy use, to how to get employees and customers engaged.
- Goal Setting: We collaborate with you to set achievable goals for the coming year.
- Friendly Reminders: Think of us as your concierge or conscious; we are there to provide a gentle boost to you when you need it.
- Progress Report: Our team meets with you quarterly to assist your company in advancing your sustainability goals.
- Training & Events: We train your employees on how to implement sustainability practices and assist with the coordination of company events to involve your community and clients.
- Learn from Your Peers: Through our quarterly network gatherings, you and other Green Star Business members have a chance to share and learn best practices from each other.
Replace your trash collection with our recycling and composting collection and show the community you’re part of the solution.
- Overview of our services
- View our brochure
- Recycling Services
- Composting Services
- Recycling Services for electronics, plastic bags, pallet wrap, other hard-to-recycle materials
- 100% collection services (includes recycling, composting and trash)
- Consulting for purchasing eco-friendly products
- Promotional Materials: We’ll help make your business an Eco-Zone
- The Eco-Cycle Eco-Store: For all your eco-friendly business needs
- Contact Us
- Download Recycling and Composting Guidelines
- Overview of our services
- Promotional Materials: Make your business an Eco-Zone
- Request a recycling or composting training
- Purchase supplies at our Eco-Store
- Contact Us
- Businesses working toward Zero Waste with Eco-Cycle
- Business Profiles from the Eco-Cycle Times
Since 1987, Eco-Cycle has been teaching the next generation about recycling, composting, waste reduction, conservation and the environment.
- History of the program
- How many students do we reach?
- Recyclables processed
- Measuring waste reduction in the schools
- Environmental presentations
- Special projects
- Educating beyond Boulder County
- Awards won
- Contact us
These Boulder County schools are the first in the nation to reduce waste in every aspect of school life.
- What are Green Star Schools?
- Meet our Green Star Schools
- Program objectives
- Zero Waste in the cafeteria
- Tips for Parents: Packing a Zero Waste Lunch
- Special Events & Projects
- How to become a Green Star School
- Schools and building a Zero Waste Community
- Contact us
Our birthday parties combine fun activities with green values. Bonus: We’ll make the party Zero Waste with our specially-printed Party with the Planet plates and cups!
COMING SOON: Recycling and Environmental Educations for Private Schools
Recycle, compost and use eco-friendly products at your next event!
These collapsible bins are available thanks to a grant from the City of Boulder
Only $15 and serves up to 10 people! Contains 100% compostable materials
for 25 – 200 people; includes 100% compostable plates, utensils, cups, collection box, guidelines and more; order a pre-pack or customize your own in sets of 25; Perfect for parties, BBQs, business meetings
for 200 – 1000 people; a do-it-yourself service with how-to videos and trainings; great for festivals, marathons, and more
for 1001+ people: great for fairs, community events, music festivals and more
for stylishly sustainable events including weddings, corporate events, fundraising galas, social events and more
Businesses: Support Local Schools by Hosting a "Little Red School House" Recycling Drop-off
Your business can support Eco-Cycle’s Green Star Schools program (at no cost to you!). Our Green Star Schools program is one of Eco-Cycle’s best. It is the first comprehensive Zero Waste schools project in America.
Help support the Green Star Schools program by hosting a Red Apple Recycling “Little Red School House” for drop-off of clothing, shoes and textiles for reuse and recycling.
Unlike other textile/shoe recycling collection companies in our area that are national and international, the Red Apple collection program is local, woman-owned and provides jobs within our local community. Part of the proceeds support Eco-Cycle’s Zero Waste work in Boulder County schools.
Red Apple’s neat collection boxes, outstanding service collecting the textiles, revenue sharing with the Green Star Schools program, along with the draw of patrons to your business, makes this a winning partnership for all of us. Supporting Boulder County schools (as Denver businesses are supporting their schools) is a valuable contribution to our community.
Red Apple Recycling is a local 501-C3 not-for-profit whose mission is to support wellness and sustainability in Colorado Front Range schools. Red Apple Recycling has placed over 50 Little Red Schoolhouses in the Denver metro area, working successfully with schools and businesses.
The program is designed to have minimal impact on each placement location:
Collection boxes will be placed in a location that has minimal impact on parking lots.
Red Apple will maintain the area around the box, do necessary maintenance and collect donations on a regular service schedule.
Red Apple will respond within 24 hours to remove any items placed outside of the collection box.
The footprint for the Little Red Schoolhouse collection box is 5 feet by 5 feet.