CHaRM: Center for Hard-to-Recycle Materials
6400 Arapahoe Rd, Boulder, co-located with ReSource
Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm
Saturday: 9am - 5pm
Sunday*: 11am - 4pm
*CHaRM will be closed on Sundays starting Dec. 20
CHaRM will be closed the following days:
Thursday and Friday, November 26 - 27
Thursday and Friday, December 24 - 25
Thursday and Friday, December 31 - January 1
Please note that the CHaRM is an outdoor facility. In the event of extreme weather, call us at (303) 444-6634 before you visit to find out if the CHaRM is open. We care about your safety and our employees!
Accepted payment methods
Cash, check, and any credit cards other than Diner's Club
>> The CHaRM will be closed on Sundays starting Dec. 20
Before you recycle that item... try to fix it at an upcoming U-Fix-It Clinic!
MAP OF CHaRM AND BOULDER'S
The CHaRM is funded in part by city of Boulder trash tax dollars.
Cash, check, and any credit cards other than Diner's Club
Home Stereo Components: $10
Car Stereos: $5
Computer Monitors 19” or smaller: $15
Computer Monitors 20” to 34”: $23
Computer Towers/CPUs: No Charge
Laptops/Tablets: No Charge
Universal Power Supply (UPS): $10
Keyboards, Mice, Cables
Large misc. computer equip.: $0.37/lb
(More than 40 lbs)
Fax Machines: $10
Desktop Copiers: $10
Large Copiers (over 40 lbs.): $0.37/lb
Office Phones: $4
- Home Phones: $2
Ink Jet and Laser Jet
Digital cameras: $2
PDAs, iPads, tablets: No Charge
Small Video Game Systems: $5
Includes plastic shopping and newspaper bags, ziplock bags, dry cleaner bags and bubble wrap
MUST be clean, dry, and empty of all food, receipts, etc. with tape and stickers removed
NO plastic food wrap or black bags; no packing peanuts
Accepted with plastic bags in plastic bag bin
Must be clean and dry
NO packing peanuts, other foam
#6 White Block Foam Packaging and Rigid Foam Insulation only
Businesses: $6 per cubic yard
NO packing peanuts, "Styrofoam" (polystyrene) cups, “to-go” boxes, meat trays or any other food-grade styrofoam, moisture or tape
View and save full guidelines and pricing for recycling small plastic appliances. Abbreviated guidelines are below.
Our flat CHaRM facility entrance fee of $3 applies to these hard-to-recycle plastic appliances, in addition to the fees outlined below. These fees help us cover the costs we incur for processing these materials, which are similar to the complex processes used to recycle electronics.
*must have electric- or battery-powered (i.e. have cords or batteries)*
Handheld: $1 – designed to be held in one hand, such as a walkie-talkie, electric toothbrush, blow dryer, curling iron, handheld electric mixer, electric knife, DustBuster, etc.
Small: $2 – Up to the size of a standard slow cooker, including a standard coffee maker, coffee grinder, upright blender, food processor, clock radio, small fan, etc.
Medium: $5 – Up to the size of a standard upright or canister vacuum, including a big plastic room fan, portable swamp cooler, etc.
Large: $10 – Any other item that weighs more than 13 pounds that could be called a small appliance, such as a a shop vac or carpet steamer.
Extra-Large: $0.37/lb – All other small appliances with plugs or batteries that weigh more than 20 pounds.
NO vacuum bags, glass (coffee pots, blenders, etc.), or food or liquid residue
• Large plastics such as Big Wheels® and plastic play structures, plastic lawn furniture, plastic watering cans, laundry baskets, clean plastic buckets (no residue), crates, rigid backyard kiddie pools and plastic trash containers.
• Must be the size of a five-gallon bucket or larger but must also be less than 4 feet by 4 feet (can be cut to meet these dimensions).
• In some cases, these plastics may not be marked with a #2, so look for them to be opaque with a matte finish and hollow inside. They are made with a mold, so will likely have a seam where two halves were joined.
• Non-plastic parts must be removed, including straps, padding and fabric. Items requiring disassembly will be charged a $5 fee.
• NO flower pots without a #2, inflatable pools or other inflatable plastics, water beds, chew toys, CD jewel cases, small toys such as action figures, etc.
• $3 facility fee applies
• metal stands can be recycled as scrap metal at the CHaRM at no extra charge
• Standard spring or futon mattress, any size: ($17.50)
• Box spring, any size: ($17.50)
• Memory foam mattress, any size: ($24)
• Mechanical bed ($36.50)
• Bed bug-infested mattress or box spring: ($32.50)*
*Bed bug-infested items MUST be sealed in plastic and taped closed prior to delivery
• NO mattresses or box springs with mold.
• Includes integral parts such as seats, pedals, handlebars, wheels, etc. and metal accessories such as baskets and Pannier racks
• NO other accessories or sporting goods
• $.50 per bike tire
• Puncture-resistant or slime tubes should be kept separately
• NO automotive or other tires
• Computer and Office Manuals
• Hard-Bound Books and Paperbacks
*Call for quantities one pallet and larger
*There is no fee to drop off books. Learn about our Book Reuse Project
• Includes canola, corn, vegetable, olive and sesame oils
• NO motor oil or any oil used for purposes other than cooking.
• Boulder Residents with ID: No additional charge
• Non-Boulder Residents: $4
• Paper materials only
• $10 per file box
Eco-Cycle provides a locked bin for residents and businesses to drop off documents for shredding at the CHaRM. A mobile shredding company comes every other Friday to shred the papers. We do not offer certificates of destruction. Vehicles that come to CHaRM are charged $3.00 per visit in addition to any per item fees. Call 303-444-6634 for more information or visit www.ecocycle.org/charm.
Small quantities of paper that is already shredded is also accepted as compost at the CHaRM. The facility fee will apply.
• Toilet, porcelain only (all other non-porcelain materials removed): $6.75/unit
• Toilet, whole (other materials still attached): $12.75/unit
• Sink or urinal, porcelain only: $3.50/unit
• Sink or urinal, plumbing attached: $6.50/unut
• Porcelain with biohazards will NOT be accepted.
• Other ceramics such as ceramic tile and pottery: $.07/lb
• NO glass, rebar, tile backing material, or other non-ceramics.
• Clean concrete -- must be free of aggregate, metal, rocks and dirt -- accepted in small quantities: less than small pickup truck bed size: $.07/lb
• NOTE: Concrete is NOT accepted at local hard-to-recycle events.
• Plastic foam, rubber foam and jute mats: $1/each
• NO badly soiled or smelly mats
• NO Tatami or other grass mats
• Items without Freon®: no charge
• Items WITH Freon®: $15
Items that contain Freon® must, by state law, have the Freon chemicals removed by a professional before disposal. The $15 fee helps the CHaRM cover these costs. Items with Freon include refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers and freezers.
NO oil or fuel in motors, batteries, or propane canisters. Electronics are not scrap metal but can be recycled at the CHaRM for a fee.
Single-stream recycling is accepted at the CHaRM for no charge. Learn more about what's accepted in single-stream recycling.
CHaRM accepts food scraps, soiled paper and Zero Waste event supplies. Click here for full guidelines.
A small charge helps us offset the cost of the program:
Less than 5 gallons compost, no other CHaRM materials - free with a $1 facility use fee
Less than 5 gallons compost w/other CHaRM materials - compost is free, charge $3 facility use fee
5 gallons to 32 gallons (1/2 toter) compost: $5 + $3 facility use fee
$10 per 64 gallon toter of compost, + $3 facility use fee
$30 per cubic yard + $3 facility use fee