Job Opportunities at Eco-Cycle
Fall Canvassing Position For Environmental Education Program
Are you passionate about preserving our natural resources?
Do you like talking with people?
Need a flexible and rewarding job?
Be a part of an exciting environmental education program with Eco-Cycle!
Eco-Cycle, administrator of the award-winning Boulder County School Recycling and Environmental Education Program, is seeking an environmental educator for presentations on a wide variety of environmental topics in K-12th grade classrooms. (A full description of the program is available on Eco-Cycle’s website at www.ecocycle.org/atschool) The currently available opening is for a full time educator, with benefits.
Job Responsibilities -
1. presentations on a wide variety of environmental topics for K-12th grade students using classroom, field trip and assembly formats
2. assist with: a. phone surveys, web research and mailings b. preparation of fliers, reports, letters, etc. c. monitoring school progress in collection of recyclables and compostables d. tabling, lunchroom monitoring and other outreach for Green Star (Zero Waste) Schools e. other special projects
3. miscellaneous duties such as purchasing supplies, delivering materials to schools, maintenance and cleaning of program equipment
4. help sort and deliver books for the Children’s Used Book Project
1. dedication to environmental work
2. experience teaching in a classroom setting
3. love of working with children, including a wide range of ages
4. writing and computer skills
5. ability to organize time well and be flexible with changing tasks
6. reliable vehicle to provide own transport to schools (mileage paid)
7. enjoy wearing costumes, including an elf and a superhero
Working Conditions and Benefits -
1. full-time position with full benefits
2. leave without pay, June through August, annually
3. mileage reimbursement for use of own car
4. all program preparation and driving time is included as part of paid hours
5. job requires lifting loads up to 50 pounds, carrying materials up and down stairs, transferring materials in and out of a car or other vehicle
CDL-B Recycling Route Driver (Boulder County)
Eco-Cycle is looking for a full-time driver for routes in Boulder County. As one of the country's leading non-profit recyclers, we offer a competitive salary and benefits after 90 days. Salary based on experience.
Routes run Mon. - Fri., some Saturdays. Must be familiar with Boulder County and not afraid to get dirty! Ability to lift up to 75 pounds and push and pull heavy dumpsters is required.
If you're willing to support our mission and represent our goals in action, apply in person at 6400 Arapahoe Ave., Boulder. Please bring current MVR.
Must have VALID CDL-B and a clean driving record!
Eco-Cycle seeks a maintenance mechanic to troubleshoot and repair processing equipment for a large recycling center in Boulder. The right individual will need to have experience with troubleshooting and repairing industrial equipment and system issues, and be able to work safely in and around processing equipment, perform field inspections, and create maintenance reports.
Candidates must be physically able to climb ladders 20+ feet from time to time and navigate repairs in varying conditions including outdoor environments exposed to the elements. Must be a self starter who is able to manage time and responsibilities. This is generally a semi-supervised position, so self-motivation and dedication to completing tasks is a must.
Able to work on and troubleshoot hydraulic equipment.
Welding and light fabrication as needed.
Able to conduct repairs on processing equipment, conveyors, forklifts, skid steer, and front loader.
Able to communicate with equipment technicians and vendors.
Able to coordinate and inspect a preventive maintenance program.
Able to work in a team motivated environment.
Basic computer skills, MS Word and MS Excel are helpful but not a must.
Physical requirements of this position include the ability to push, pull, and lift items up to 40 (+) pounds.
Organize maintenance shop and secure maintenance equipment in order to promote efficient, safe, and secure operations.
Maybe called on after hours in case of emergency.
Bilingual in Spanish a plus
Work hours may require overtime, evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
Legally authorized to work in the United States on a regular full-time basis without restrictions.
High school diploma or GED equivalent.
Valid driver’s license.
Job salary will vary with experience. Please send a resume to .
Work at the Boulder County Recycling Center
Eco-Cycle runs the Boulder County Recycling Center and employs people on the sorting lines and running equipment. Hiring for these positions is done by this company. Please contact them for current openings.
Leadpoint USA: www.leadpointusa.com, 1-800-552-3136
Eco-Cycle Solutions Program Assistant Internship
The Eco-Cycle Solutions project needs 1-2 part-time intern assistants to help with program development. The position is ongoing with the option to continue through spring 2016.
Eco-Cycle Solutions supports communities around the U.S. as they move toward Zero Waste by providing a comprehensive website with tools, resources and expert advice. Our program assistants provide a variety of tasks that vary frequently and may include:
- research and writing fact sheets
- research and policy analysis on Zero Waste cities
- answering emails and responding to customer request
- developing blogs, enewsletters and social media outreach
- managing website analytics and SEO
- tracking user interactions in a database
- and more.
Hours: Hours/days are flexible. Hourly rate or internship stipend.
- Passion for the environment, particularly recycling and Zero Waste
- Excellent writing skills with ability to write for many different audiences from technical to general public
- Research projects
- Attention to detail a must, and ability to juggle and organize overlapping tasks in different platforms
- Software and tech savvy, and quick learner of new software. Must have advanced experience in Word and Excel. Experience in Wordpress a plus. Creative design and layout skills a plus but not required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Zero Waste Events Internship:
Eco-Cycle is looking for an intern who is passionate about educating others on how to reduce environmental impact during large scale events in Boulder County. The intern will work under the supervision of the Event Coordinator and with volunteers and vendors to assist guests at Zero Waste events. Duties include loading, driving and unloading the events truck, setting-up and breaking-down Zero Waste Stations and event equipment, preventing contamination of the recycling and compost bins and working closely with other Zero Waste event staff. Interns will work almost exclusively on weekends.
Skills: Excellent communication skills, high energy, interest in environmental education, ability to be on one’s feet for several hours at a time and lift up to 50lbs.
Position starts in June and continues through the end of August, The hours will vary depending on the event schedule for each week, but you can expect to work 5-12 hrs/week with the majority of hours being on the weekends.
We are looking for a hard-working, dedicated individual with a passion for Zero Waste and the environment. A qualified candidate will have great people, organizational, and communication skills. This person will also need to take initiative, be flexible, and have a positive attitude.
This position is unpaid. Send resume to or call 303-444-6634
Environmental Education Intern:
Boulder County School Recycling Program:
The Eco-Cycle Schools Department coordinates the collection of recyclables and compostables from all public schools in Boulder County. In addition, we deliver 1,600 presentations annually on a wide variety of environmental topics to students throughout Boulder County, from preschool through high school. We also run the Green Star Schools Program, the first program of its kind in the nation, which helps schools Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Compost as they strive toward becoming models of Zero Waste. As of spring 2015, there are 40 Boulder County schools in this award-winning project. We plan to add three more schools in the 2015-2016 school year.
In addition, we coordinate the Children’s Used Book Project. Through the Eco-Cycle/City of Boulder Center for Hard-to-Recycle Materials (CHaRM), we receive thousands of used books every year. We go through the children’s books of good quality, sort them for grade level, and then donate them to our Green Star Schools, charities, and teachers for their classrooms. Through this program, we are able to distribute between 10-20,000 free books a year.
The Schools Department is looking for an intern for the fall 2015 and/or spring of 2016. The intern will have the opportunity to gain experience in the field of environmental education while helping to make the overall program run more smoothly. The intern will be responsible for helping with a variety of tasks, including:
- Providing support at Green Star Schools kickoff assemblies and at 5 and 10-year celebrations (including napkin making, lunch time monitoring and working with students during assemblies).
- Making educational posters for lunchrooms and preschool classrooms.
- Cleaning and labeling recycling and compost containers for delivery to schools.
- Supporting outreach efforts at Zero Waste events by educating the public at waste stations and providing fun activities for students like face painting.
- Training and engaging students by monitoring waste stations in the lunchrooms.
- Assisting with the sorting and distribution of books for the Children’s Used Book Project.
- Possibility to teach students (kindergarten through high school) in classroom settings and on field trips
The Environmental Education Intern will also have the opportunity to shadow and assist with a variety of classroom presentations and field trips to see environmental education in action. Topics may include forestry, rainforest, air quality, energy conservation, water conservation, litter prevention, household hazardous waste alternatives, as well as recycling, composting and waste reduction.
- Experience and interest in working with children.
- Interest and base knowledge of environmental topics.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Reliable transportation and willingness to drive to schools throughout Boulder County.
- 10 hours/week, flexible. May include some evenings and weekends.